Monday 12 April 2010

Maybelline Pulse Perfection Mascara

I picked up Maybelline Pulse Perfection Mascara Waterproof in Very Black during my trip to Hawaii. This costs about US$13 and is supposed to be an affordable dupe for Lancome's Ôscillation mascara. (Both Maybelline and Lancome are owned by L'Oreal.) I picked the waterproof version as the non-waterproof Maybelline mascaras that I used in the past (Great Lash, Full 'N Soft, Lash Discovery) tend to smudge on my lower eyelids.

I believe Pulse Perfection is due to be launched in Singapore soon. I can't remember where I read this but apparently only 30,000 tubes will be made available in Singapore at the launch.

The brush has fairly short bristles which I think helps to avoid clumping.

You have to press the button on the cap in order to activate the vibration. I found it a bit tricky to press and hold the button while trying to apply the mascara as you have to hold the cap at the very end, which does not allow for a very firm grip. It gets even more difficult when I try to do my left eye while holding the wand with my right hand.

The top of the cap can also be opened in order to remove the battery for recycling. However, the directions also warn against trying to replace the battery.

Pulse Perfection promises "luscious thickness, luxurious length, smooth separation, intense colour, shapely curve, healthy luster and zero clumps". Out of those claims, I would say that it delivers best on lengthening , separation and intense colour but is somewhat lacking in terms of adding thickness.

It was easy to apply without clumping and builds length easily with a few strokes. You can't let the mascara dry in between coats as the texture becomes a bit hard and you can't brush over it smoothly. It held up well over more than 10 hours of wear without flaking or smudging and was easily removed with my usual Shu Uemura cleansing oil. The colour is jet black without any grey tones but it's not a glossy finish.

Overall, I would say that it's a decent mascara but it didn't completely wow me either. In addition to the lack of volumising power, I felt that the vibrating wand actually did not do very much in terms of enhancing the application of the mascara. I get the same result from using it in the non-vibrating mode. So that part was a bit gimmicky to me, whereas with Lancome Oscillation Powerfoundation, the vibrating sponge applicator does produce a much more polished and seamless finish.


Here's the TV CM for Japan.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to pick this up when I went to Taiwan since this isn't available in the Philippines yet but when I tested it on the Maybelline counter, I felt more vibration on the handle than on the tip of the wand where there's supposed to be a couple thousand vibrations =/ I didn't pick one up after that...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, Iris! Very thorough and informative, I enjoyed reading this bit about mascaras. :)

Anonymous said...

hi haru, i always have problem curling my lashes completely... do u have any tips? some say warming the curler but i am kinda lazy to do that haha =)

Haru said...

hey,
All you need is a good eyelash curler, no need to heat it up! I recommend either MAC or Shu Uemura. MAC is slightly cheaper in Singapore but Shu Uemura is often regarded as the gold standard. Personally, MAC works very well for me.

hi innerchild,
Glad you found it useful!

Hi Chelle,
The Pulse Perfection is supposed to vibrate 100 times per second. I do feel the brush part vibrating but I don't really see any difference in how well it deposits mascara on my lashes compared to non-vibrating mascaras.

Anonymous said...

thanx haru
i actually bought the anna sui one coz i saw ur post on it haha

Pinky said...

hi haru
i'm thinking if you want to consider setting up a facebook fan page and you will have a lot of fans joining your facebook fan page.

do you have a facebook by the way where we can add you :)

thanks for making a difference in our life.

Haru said...

Oops, sorry! The Anna Sui curler is not bad but I get a better, longer lasting curl with the MAC curler.

hi Pinky,
I do have a Facebook account but I don't check it much as I just have no time! But thank you for the suggestion!