Wednesday 7 April 2010

EOTD: Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips

Being an absolute shimmerholic magpie, I was naturally drawn to the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips during a visit to Longs Drugs in Honolulu. These are reminiscent of the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Eye Palettes. However, unlike the Bobbi Brown palettes which contained very pale metallic pastels that showed up as largely a mess of silver shimmer, the Physicians Formuala Shimmer Strips feature a wide range of dramatic, bright and light pastel shades.

Each PF palette contains 9 shades in varying widths (net weight: 0.25oz/7.5g), whereas the Bobbi Brown palettes had 10 evenly-sized shades (net weight: 0.14oz/4g). Both the PF and BB palettes are made in Italy, like MAC MSFs. But the PF version cost just a fraction of the BB palette, at only US$10.40 a pop.

Given the quality of the Shimmer Strips, the PF palettes are an absolute steal and I highly recommend searching them out if you are in the US. The shades apply and blend smoothly with good colour payoff and true to how they appear in the pan. I didn't get shimmery fallout on my cheeks over the 12 hours that I wore these and there was very minimal fading and just a tiny bit of creasing at the inner corners of my upper eyelids.

I used the Pop Green Eyes palette for today's EOTD. It is a fun mix of greens and purple tones. Even the white shade at the extreme left end of the palette applies with a slight flash of green.

I applied these shades with my MAC brushes, rather than the included sponge applicator, for easier blending. The sponge applicator works well if you want to pack on the colour for a more intense finish.

I used the dark purple shade along the upper lashline, the violet shade in the crease, the white shade over the browbone area and finished with the mint shade along the lower lashline for a more interesting twist.


3 comments:

makeupmag said...

The shades are very summery and complementary. This is a great buy!

Anonymous said...

i spotted this on your blog so i went to the local PF counter again. but there is no POP strip of green eyes! duh! it's really nice on you. i like it has green and blue together. not many e/s palettes uses such bald colors.

i am same as you. DH often calls me a magpie. :)

Kas said...

I swatched them yesterday while I was at Mosburger (glam right?! haha!) anyways, i now totally regret not having gotten the other colours!! really good and smooth and the colours are soooo pretty!